This is part 2 of JJ and the Princess Girls. To see more activities, crafts, and princess girls visit part 1.

JJ and the Princess Girls

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Remembering Christ at Christmas

I found this idea on Pinterest and thought it was really great.  I am really hoping I actually do this.
In place of where their stockings normally hang, there are 3 “shepherds pouches” hanging from December 1st-December 24th. The actual pouches aren’t particularly significant except that they represent simpleness and not drawing attention to themselves. (As in not serving other people to get praise.)
I started off talking about whose birthday was coming up.
Jesus’!
What do you do on birthdays?
We give presents!
How do we give presents to Jesus who is invisible? How do we give to the King?
Blank stares.
I bring out the Bible and read Matthew 25:40: And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
This is how we give to the King. We love and care for others. Sacrifice. Service. Chores without grumbling. Servant’s hearts. Loving attitudes.
“During the month of December, anytime daddy or I see you guys serving each other or others, doing chores with a happy heart, serving others at school (yes, James is writing an e-mail to Rilyn and Ella’s teachers asking them to e-mail us if they see our daughters serving), we will put money in your shepherds pouch.” (I went to the bank earlier this week and got out 30 one dollar bills and $20 in quarters.)
On December 24th, we will count up all the money in their shepherds pouches. We will then go to Compassion’s gift catalog and pick something to give to someone in need with all the money they made. They browsed the catalog last night and were so excited that they could give a goat to a village! :)
Cultivating a spirit of self-sacrifice is hard for us – harder still for children during this season and in this consumeristic culture, who are marketed to constantly. We hope the visual reminder of the shepherd’s pouch being in view, front and center, during these weeks helps us to maintain focus.
And so…imperfectly, we remind ourselves that the magnificent event we celebrate on December 25 began with Someone’s fierce and determined desire to love a faraway people.

*I copied this from here,  I tried to pin it, but it didn't work and I want to remember this.  So this post is really for myself, but I hope you like it too.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome idea Jess! I just pinned it and it worked btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this is AWESOME! I love love love it! If you really do it PLEASE please PLEASE post what the girls purchase for those in need from the compassion catalog. That would be SOOOOOO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting, what a special idea!

    ReplyDelete